Building the new kegerator

By | January 5, 2018

Kegerators – ask a brewer how to make or buy a kegerator and you’ll get ten thousand different answers!

A while back I had a keezer with five taps (better photo here)and while it was great, I ultimately decided to downsize to a four tap system when I moved to QLD for the new job.

I first used a commercial kegerator with a four tap font which wasn’t too bad (used a 5L keg on the compressor hump for the fourth tap), but after I got the new conical and glycol system – my fermenting fridge was now available for re-purposing.

So, what to do with an old, scuffed up fridge? Paint it up, drill some holes and throw some kegs on it!

I had almost all the gear already so the only things I needed was some paint, top coat and some new beer line as I thought it was about time to refresh.

I gave the fridge a light sand (a bit heavy in some places) and got rid of some existing stickers and branding, after that came a few coats of the Charcoal textured paint I decided to use – oh I also drilled the holes before painting.

After the paint and top seal was on it was simply a matter of plumbing everything in. My trusty Perlick taps were relocated to this fridge and then plumbed in with new Flexmaster II beer hose and John Guest fittings.

As the thermostat on this fridge was also not functioning I grabbed myself a Mangrove Jack’s Temperature Controller and wired that in, the probe sits inside a water bottle.

Another hole was drilled into the side of the fridge for the gas hose to go through and although not pictured above a drip tray was also then attached below the taps – this can be seen in the final shots below.

After a few days of use I also noticed the fridge seal was out of shape as well, my daughters hair dryer came to the party here and allowed me to put it back into shape – lucky!

Being an ex-graphic designer I love putting labels on all my taps and making things look nice.

I considered using my decal holders I had on my old system but as I couldn’t mount them higher (which would look nice) I decided not too.

The first solution that I tried was simple photo frames (6×4) and I then printed out each beer label and placed them inside, these were then fixed into place using magnets.

This worked well and was an easy to use system but they did not sit flush well enough for my OCD. Being a tech person and having just resurrected an old Android tablet from the dead I decided to go digital.

I played around with different options and decided to keep it simple using an interactive PDF with hyperlinks. So it’s a simple PDF made up of the graphics and labels and hotspots drawn over the design which then link to other pages within the PDF document.

This allows me to easily update and change the labels with no extra printing and I can recharge the tablet when needed by simply removing it (attached using 3M picture hooks – the detachable velco type ones).

It also means we now have an entertainment tablet (Spotify etc) which can stream music to our wireless speakers when we have guests over.

Software used for the graphics is Adobe Illustrator and the PDF created in Adobe Indesign.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *